Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blogger without the internet

I am currently a blogger without a home interner connection. Is that an oxymoron?

I decided to hold off on getting internet connection, since when I inquired, Comcast estimated that the cheapest option for me would be $50/a month. With all of the other moving expenses (and now car expenses) that I have recently incurred, I decided that for the time being, it wouldn't be the most prudent idea for me to spend that on the internet.

Besides, that means that I would have to go to cafes, coffeeshops, or restaurants in order to use the internet for leisure. Granted, when you add up all of the drinks and snack items that I have (will) end up buying, it could get pretty pricey in itself, but it's a good way for me to get out of my house on the weeknights and weekends, potentially meet other coffeeshop junkies, and just be more social than just hole-ling away in my house on the internet.

I have to admit, at first I was a little bit skeptical about how this arrangement would work. After all, since I was 12 years old and my family first got the internet at our house, I always had the option to get online at the click of a mouse. (Although, during though first few years it was ridiculously slow, back in the days of "dial-up" connection!)

But although I do miss the convenience of having the internet available to me whenever I want to look something up, check the hours of a restaurant, or get in touch with someone, I actually have really, really enjoyed many aspects about being internetless.

Most of all, I have enjoyed being detached from the "noise" of the internet, which can (for someone undisciplined like myself) can be a constant distraction. I should mention too, that by opting out of the internet, I am also opting out of a cable package. I do get a handful of digital channels on my tv, but they really are not interesting enough to watch except for the weather channel here and there.

I have...
1) Gotten to bed earlier. Without e-mail to check or new websites to explore for "just a few minutes" which turns into hours...when it's bedtime, it's bedtime
2) Read real, tangible books more. I have already checked-out an array of some dozen books from the library where I work. When all is quiet in my apartment and I have some leisure time, I have been able to pick up any one of these books and get lost in the pages. I am particularly enjoying Flannery O'Connor's "Mystery and Manners" right now.
3) Prayed more. When there is no internet around to check, I am more likely to reach for my Magnificat or other spiritual reading, and to savor the quiet time in prayer.
4)Used my infrequent internet time wisely. When you are limited to internet time for an hour or two at a coffeeshop, you are more likely to just get done the things you need or want to get done, rather than dilly-dallying and putzing around.
5) Get excited about real mail. I have no e-mail or Facebook to check when I get home in the evenings, so opening my mailbox is more entertaining than it used to be. (Especially when I actually get letters!) I am sincerely hoping that I can translate my interest in writing letters into actually writing letters. I got a handful of Christmas cards mailed a few weeks ago. I guess that's a start.
6) Have more time to reach out to people in other ways, whether it is by phone or in person.
7) Have more time!

I don't know that I will stay internetless forever, but for now, I am recognizing and appreciating the benefits of living a lifestyle without home internet access. And realizing that having internet access at home isn't necessarily essential for me right now.

Granted, I should probably mention that not having internet access will probably have minor effects on my blog. Don't worry, I fully intend to keep my blog up and running, and hopefully continue to increase content and readership! However, it is likely that my posting during the week will be more sporadic than my posting on the weekends. But when I have more "coffeeshop" time, I will be writing away...perhaps featuring a few new additions per day.

Check back often!

1 comment: