Friday, June 3, 2011

Baked birthday surprises

It's not even my birthday yet, and I have already been showered with delightful homemade birthday treats two days this week. On Wednesday my dear friend Liza made me one of my very favorite desserts: fudge-y brownies. Perhaps almost as endearing as the surprising appearance of the baked good itself was the covert mission undertaken to discover my favorite dessert a few days earlier.

Apparently, Liza put my friend Joannie in charge of figuring out my favorite dessert during our Memorial Day weekend beach trip. I did think it was a little random when during a pause in conversation at our restaurant dinner table, Joannie asked all of us girls "So, if you could have your favorite dessert, what would it be?"

I mean, I thought we were pretty good at making conversation without "getting to know you prompts", but I figured I would go along with it and describe my favorite dessert. Apparently, this was a key success in the "mission-to-find-out-Maria's-favorite-dessert" mission.

I was delighted when Liza whipped out the brownies at book club in honor of my birthday, and even more amused (and surprised) when Joannie said that was why she asked us all at dinner about our favorite desserts. It suddenly made so much sense.

Then this morning, when I came in to work, one of our student workers had made a delicious batch of red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing in honor of my upcoming birthday. So very delicious! And I was again, very tickled to realize that she had remembered my favorite type of cake in a passing conversation a few weeks back. Needless to say, I enjoyed some delicious red velvet cupcakes and coffee throughout the day.

I am so thankful for such sweet friends, who shower me with such sweet treats.

Today I celebrate 25. Tomorrow I celebrate 26. And the South Beach diet can wait until I am 26 and a day. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Maria!!! Not a year has gone by that I did not think of you on this special day. :) I'm glad you got such delicious baked goods. May you have a blessed and wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks so much Louise!! :-) Remember our fun birthday sleepovers? I just came across a picture the other day of us in our matching outfits in front of Little Caesar's. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I hope you had a great birthday. 26! Wow, what a great age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Uncle Rick! I had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the question was actually, "If you were on a dessert island and could eat one dessert," and then changed to, "If this was your last day on earth," ... and then the girls were still stubborn "It depends how I feel..." that I finally gave in and just asked point-blank "What's your favorite dessert?!" I think we had been talking about food... I somehow made a segue, but knew it was sort of odd. But I was desperate by then! : )
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's ok Joannie...I was still completely unaware of your true motives. haha!

    ReplyDelete